Acupuncture is one of the most ancient and most commonly used types of medicine. It is a safe, and effective form of medical treatment that has evolved into a complete holistic healthcare system. Acupuncture exists under the umbrella of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). It is a form of treatment used within TCM along with herbal medicine, massage/bodywork (Tui Na An Mo), dietary therapy, and other ways of stimulating acupuncture points, such as moxibustion. Acupuncture has the ability to enhance recuperative power and immunity, support physical and emotional health, and improve overall body function and well-being. At White Dragon Healing Arts, this traditional treatment is done in a modern private setting, where any health issues you might have can be addressed. If you are searching for a one-on-one comprehensive approach to your health care, this may be just what you’re looking for.
Likely, many of us know an individual who has received and benefited from acupuncture treatment. Though known for its ability to treat various pains, acupuncture offers more than just that. A few health issues acupuncture can offer relief to are:
• Headaches, migraines, and nausea associated with both
• Neck and back pain
• Knee and shoulder pain
• Strains, arthritis, and carpal tunnel
• Side effects from chemotherapy
• Cold, flu, bronchitis, asthma, & other common illness symptoms
• Stress, anxiety, & insomnia
• Overall wellness and health maintenance
How Does Acupuncture work?
Many people have the question, “How does it work?” It is surprisingly difficult to provide a simple answer because acupuncture has such a wide-reaching effect on the body. From a Chinese perspective, the answer is simple – “it balances Yin and Yang”. From a Western perspective, the answer is a lot more complex, as it examines the effects on things such as hormones, neurotransmitters, immune cells, and the like. And since acupuncture doesn’t just work in one way, i.e. – “This acupuncture needle here does X and nothing else”, the way that the body is affected is very intricate and complex.
Acupuncture has been shown to:
• Release immune system cells and natural pain killers through improvement of neuroelectric conduction.
• Stimulate the HPA (Hypothalamus/Pituitary/Adrenal)Axis, which is our central stress response system, that impacts.
• Activate the body’s natural opioid system, which may help reduce pain or induce sleep
• Induce changes in the secretion of neurotransmitters and neurohormones, which may positively affect brain chemistry.
Acupuncture has also been found to activate pain-suppressing receptors and increase the concentration of a neurotransmitter called adenosine in local tissues. In the brain, adenosine slows down the activity which promotes the calming effect that many people report after having acupuncture performed. In essence, whatever the issue is, acupuncture is very likely able to help!
To schedule an acupuncture appointment in the Minneapolis/St Paul area call White Dragon Healing Arts at 612-730-4336.